FaramirWar must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend: the city of the Men of Númenor; and I would have her loved for her memory, her ancientry, her beauty, and her present wisdom.
lotr read-along bingo (week thirteen prompt: faramir)
For many, photographs from World War 2 have been seen only in grainy black and white. But new colour images have emerged that show the full horror of the destruction inflicted by Nazi bombers during “The Blitz” in London. The capital sustained 76 continuous nights of attacks, from September 1940 to May 1941, which obliterated more than one million homes killed about 40,000 people The powerful images were released to mark the 70th anniversary of the launch of Winston Churchill’s ‘V for Victory’ campaign on July 19, 1941.
Note: Unlike most of my posts, I actually made an attempt to be somewhat coherent in this essay. I also tried to dispense with a lot of qualifying, timid language like “I think" and "I believe" and "most of fandom" and "often”. Nevertheless, this essay is largely “I believe that…" and "Many people do This Thing, but I know there are some people reading this essay who are not guilty of doing This Thing.” You should keep that in mind. This essay might be controversial. The topics discussed below include critical discussions of both GRRM’s writing and the greater ASOIAF fandom on the internet. This criticism is not directed at anyone in particular; it is merely my response to the observations I have made during my two years of constant stanning for House Lannister and Joanna Lannister.
I do not think this essay is for everyone. It came in at approximately 3500 words (7 pages). Obviously my interests are very specialized, and I expect this will only appeal to ASOIAF fans interested in the history of Westeros, or fans of House Lannister. Beyond that:
- Do not read if the idea of an ambitious Joanna Lannister offends you. (Yes, it does offend some people.)
- Do not read if you support Lannisters as Secret Targaryen theories.Again, this is a critical essay. If you are in one of the above groups, and you still decide to read, don’t come complaining to me.
A special thank you to jaime-lannister, who knows of my profound and obsessive love for Joanna Lannister, and who was kind enough to think of me and invite me to share my thoughts for the NineWorlds convention in London this year.
Another thank you to onlyalittlelion, whose ASOIAF insights are invaluable to me.
Warnings for discussions of adult themes, rape, sexual assault, abuse, violence, misogyny, ableism, sexism, and character death.
a mix for spike jonze’s ‘her.’
01. can’t help falling in love - fleet foxes sing [wise men say / only fools rush in / but i can’t help falling in love with you]
02. you ain’t alone - alabama shakes [are you scared to wear your heart out on your sleeve? / are you scared of me?]
03. forget me not - the civil wars [i just wanna hold your hand / hang on every word you say / let’s write a song for us / and sing until we’re old and grey / forget me not / my dear, my darling]
04. sing me sweet - matt nathanson [in the dim half-light dawn / pinned beneath your undertow / when everything meant everything again / a little bit of something / maybe just a way home]
05. use somebody - cameron mitchell [always looking down at all i see / painted faces fill the places i can’t reach / you know that i could use somebody / someone like you / and all you know / and how you speak]
06. calling you - blue october [i can’t believe you actually picked me / i thought that the world had lost it’s sway / it’s so hard sometimes / then i fell in love with you / then came you / and you took that away / it’s not so difficult / the world is not so difficult]
07. let me fall in love - market irglova [i’ve heard people speak / of sad endings and broken hearts / but the heart does heal / and where one thing ends another starts]
08. my heart with you - the rescues [a tattered photograph my pocket holds / i keep you secretly / i’ve studied every line / you’re etched upon my mind]
09. hiding my heart - adele [and it was in my darkest of days / when you took my sorrow and you took my pain / and buried them away / buried them away / i wish i could lay down beside you / when the day is done / and wake up to your face against the morning sun]
10. morning coffee - cumulus [i just wanna see your face in the morning / i wanna feel your hand against my cheek / see you smiling back at me ]
+ the moon song - karen o [there’s things i wish i knew / there’s no thing i’d keep from you / it’s a dark and shiny place / but with you, my dear / i’m safe]